Glendowie is a suburb of Auckland Central, New Zealand under the local government of the Auckland Council. The northern and eastern borders of the suburb are the Waitematā Harbour and the Tamaki Estuary.
The suburb was developed in the 1920s when George Riddell built a loop road through the area. It is named after one of Taylor Brothers' former farm estates, Glen Dowie.
Glendowie is a beautiful suburb near the seaside suburbs of St Heliers and Kohimarama. It is probably a more affordable choice for those who want to enjoy a coastal lifestyle.
At the 2018 New Zealand census, Glendowie had a population of 8,832 with 2,877 households.
Churchill Park is a 40-hectare park in Glendowie, located on the eastern side of the Auckland Isthmus, in the Tamaki River’s direction. It was named after Winston Churchill when the park was established in 1945.
There are bowling and tennis clubs near the bush-like setting of Churchill Park. The region also has services for Boy Scouts and Girl Guides. The Probus Club is also accessible in the suburb as well as pre-school education facilities.
Glendowie Academy, Churchill Park School, and Glen Taylor School are Glendowie's primary schools, while Glendowie College and Sacred Heart College are secondary schools.