Saint Marys Bay is an inner-city suburb of Auckland, New Zealand.
St Marys Bay, one of Auckland’s oldest and most historic neighbourhoods, was established in 1936 when Bishop Jean-Baptiste François Pompallier arrived from France and purchased 47 acres of land on behalf of the Catholic Church. It was only fitting that Mount St Mary was named after New Zealand’s first Marist Catholic bishop.
The suburb used to have direct access down the cliffs via many paths and roads to the foreshore and, later, the Wynyard Quarter to the northeast. However, with the completion of the highway, these connections largely vanished. The Jacobs Ladder Bridge over State Highway 1 opened in 2012 as part of highway construction in the northeast of Saint Marys Bay, providing a pedestrian connection to Westhaven Marina.
According to the 2018 New Zealand census, Saint Marys Bay had a population of 2,205 people and 978 households.
St Mary’s College is a state-integrated Catholic girls’ secondary school, and Auckland Girls’ Grammar School and Catholic St Paul’s College are nearby local secondary schools.